Monday, April 8, 2013

Junk to Funk

For my first post for April I bring you an outfit post that is quite different from my usual. Say hello to my recyclable ootd! Yes folks this dress was made out of corn husks and sprinkled with broken plastic CDs. This was for a quasi-fashion show at my mom's office wherein all the daughters of selected officers were to model these recycled garments.
Here's Alex with her place mat and tablecloth dress. In my opinion, these were the easiest materials to work with since it's already cloth and the plastic mat wouldn't be too fragile to be made out as a dress; the challenge in this though is that with the wrong execution this dress could've turned out tacky and kitschy what with the prints and all. But because it had an elegant and flattering silhouette (sweetheart neckline and cinched waist) plus the proudly Pinoy Terno inspired sleeve, this dress turned out classy and sweet! 
Now we have Tin and her magazine dress. What I like about this is the different textures in this outfit. There were pleats, weaves and origami-inspired folds in the bodice. 
These two were made out of rice and flour sacks. Sacks have prints that are very distinct and distracting so it was nice that there were touches of abaca ropes and walis in these dresses that diverted the audience's attention from the prints.
What an innovative start to my April I must say. At first I was reluctant to entertain my mom's request but looking back, it was nice to have seen so many creative visions in this show. And because I'm taking fashion design classes this coming May, I guess this also served as as a warm up for me.
XO.

1 comment:

  1. That was a great activity at your Mom's office! Who would have thought that those are made of recyclable stuff! :)

    And that was indeed not a usual OOTD. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...